Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Inspiration

I recently began to feel a strong urge to write again. It is something that I have always had a passion for - along with photography. I loved English class in middle school and high school and always had distant dreams being a writer or a photojournalist.

I decided to purchase a few Kindle books on writing a better novel, because I think my weakest area in writing is delivering a good description that takes the reader and places them squarely in the middle of the story. One of the books suggested that the best way to figure out how to write good descriptions is to read books with good descriptions and details. I had not realized that this was exactly where my new found desire to write was actually coming from. I have always loved to read and have a vast collections of all kinds of books - except romance novels.

Inspiration is not drawn from the plot of a good book, but from how a good book is written. I noticed that when I read a good book, it helps me to write my ideas down in a more descriptive way. A budding author - in order to become a better author - must constantly study the work of great writers in order to learn the craft.

I'm currently reading a book from The Walking Dead series and it is a wonderfully written book. I feel as though I am standing right there with the characters in the book and I can see every detail clearly. Now, I am certainly not writing a book about a Zombie Apocalypse and I have no desire to write any such thing. But the book is so well-written that it inspires me to make a stronger effort when writing my own works. It is a prime example of putting the reader inside the story and enabling them to see the writer's true vision for the book.

I'm so excited about writing and photography that I can barely fight the urge to close myself off for hours at a time and write all the things that have been swimming around in my head for months, years - even decades.

It's wonderful to feel so inspired, so driven, so eager to learn and keep learning - to write and keep writing. I have ideas for stories. I have stories. Boy ! Do I have stories !

No comments:

Post a Comment