Monday, August 20, 2012

The Day We Met...

Dear Julian,

Do you remember the day we met ? It was a hot Summer day. I brought my friend over to see your cousin. They had been dating for a short time. She didn't want to come to your apartment alone, so she asked me to come with her. We were sitting in my car. I tooted the car horn and you came out. You were wearing cut off jeans, a button-up shirt (unbuttoned) & flip flops. You threw your arms in the air in a "what's up" kind of gesture. I called out to you in Spanish and told you my friend was there to see your cousin. You told us he was inside. I sat in my car with my infant son, Caleb while my friend went in to talk to her boyfriend. You came to my car and started up a conversation with me.

You asked me my name. I asked you yours. I sat in my car with the door open. You were chowing down on a fresh peach as we talked. You smiled so sweetly and your laugh was so infectious. I felt awkward around you. I thought you were so handsome. You had the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen. I got Caleb from his car seat so I could nurse him. You "coo'ed" and "goo'ed" at him and held his tiny hand in yours. I could see in your eyes that you loved children. You told me you loved the way a baby's hands felt and how amazingly tiny they were. I could see down to your soul that you were a good man - handsome on the outside and on the inside.

You asked me if I wanted to come inside. I said no, but what I really wanted to do was spend more time talking to you. As my friend came out the door of your apartment, you asked me if I would like to come back and hang out some time. I said, "Sure" and we left.

As we drove away, I wished I were just a little younger. I thought I was too old for you, but I knew right away we could be friends.

I love you, Julian.

1 comment:

  1. Writing letters is a great idea, Renee. It worked for me, so I'm pretty sure it'll work for you. How are you doing today?

    ReplyDelete