Thursday, January 6, 2011

Forty !!

Yes, it's true. I'll be turning 40 this year. I can hardly believe it. I remember when I thought being forty gave someone senior citizen status. Now that I'm nearly there, I would hardly call myself a senior citizen. I am a grandmother now, but I don't really feel old. What I feel is maturity. Reasonable, logical thinking, not afraid to express myself, loving where I am in life MATURITY ! So, that gets me to thinking 'now what' ? I have no fear of not being in the with the crowd, no fear of speaking up in public, no fear of doing something new & different.

What's the next step ? Maybe, for me it's going to school. I've been thinking about it for months. I browsed the local community college web site. One thing that has always interested me is Criminal Justice. I don't think at my age I would want to be a police officer. I would enjoy working as a probation/parole officer. If I had the presence of mind to do something with my life 20 years ago, I would probably be an attorney or even a D.A. right now.  But I can't dwell on coulda woulda & shouldas. So, I believe I will return to school this summer and see just where I can go with it.

I enjoy being home with my children, but I just feel as though I should be doing a little bit more with my life and at my age. By the time I finish a 2 year course of study, Daisy (my youngest) will be a full fledged teenager. It feels like the right time in my life to start moving forward and planning for the empty nest.

I also see the benefits of working as a civil servant. For instance, a medical plan for the whole family, retirement benefits, etc. About 12 years ago, I contemplated becoming a nurse. I took the CNA I & II courses and worked as a CNA/MedTech for a few years. Although, I enjoyed taking care of people, I do not think I could handle being a nurse (emotionally or physically) as a lifetime career. Having five children with five VERY different personalities, however, seems to have prepared me for a career in Criminal Justice. On more than one occasion, my own children have said I should be a parole officer. :-) I certainly can handle any excuse or attitude that comes my way without backing down.

Look out, forty ! Here I come ! Hello, adulthood. Nice to see you, finally !!

No comments:

Post a Comment